Promoting a safer church
The care protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults involved in Church activities is the responsibility of the whole Church. Everyone who participates in the life of the Church has a role to play in promoting a Safer Church for all.
At St. John's we adopt the House of Bishops' safeguarding policy for Promoting a Safer Church which sets out the safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults’ policy of the Church of England. The policy offers six commitments:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the Church
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
If you have concerns
If you are concerned that someone you know is at risk of abuse, or is being abused, or presents a risk to others, please seek advice from one of the following:
- Pauline Harding (St. John's Safeguarding Officer): 07506 541689
- Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor Team: 0113 353 0259 or 07872 005189
- If there is immediate risk or danger please contact the police by calling 101
Other sources of help and support
There are several other organisations that can offer help and support: